Easter is just around the corner and we are overflowing with ideas for Easter recipes. Cupcakes are a perfect Easter treat to bring to a party, enjoy with your family or leave out for the Easter Bunny to snack on.
These Robin Egg Chocolate Covered Almond Easter Cupcakes are equal parts cute and delicious! Lucky for you, they are simple to make!
CUPCAKE BATTER RECIPE
1. Preheat oven to 350˚ F and prepare a cupcake pan with liners.
2. Add the flour, sugar, baking powder and salt to a large mixer bowl and combine. Set aside.
3. Add the milk, vegetable oil, vanilla extract and eggs to a medium sized bowl and combine.
4. Add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients and beat until well combined.
5. Fill the cupcake liners about half way and bake for 15-17 minutes, or until a toothpick comes out with a few moist crumbs.
6. Remove the cupcakes from oven and allow to cool for 2 minutes, then remove from pan completely and set on a cooling rack to finish cooling.
VANILLA FROSTING RECIPE
1. To make the frosting, combine the butter and shortening in a large mixer bowl and mix until smooth.
2. Add 2 cups of powdered sugar and mix until smooth.
3. Add the vanilla extract and 1 tablespoon of water or milk and mix until smooth.
4. Add remaining powdered sugar and mix until smooth.
5. Add remaining water or milk as needed and mix until smooth.
6. Add a few drops of green (or any color!) food coloring to achieve desired color for the grass.
7. Pipe the frosting onto the cupcakes by using instructions below.
How to make a frosting bag and achieve the grass looking effect for the icing:
1. Open piping bag and spoon frosting inside. You can also use a plastic baggie if you don’t have a piping bag.
2. Squeeze icing to the bottom tip of the bag.
3. Prick multiple holes into the bottom and test size of openings by squeezing a small bit of icing onto a plate. Start small!
4. Re-prick holes to enlarge them if necessary to achieve the desired, grass-like effect.
5. Get piping! Start in the center of the cupcake, gently squeezing out grass in a circular pattern until cupcake is full covered.
6. Then pipe along the cupcake edge and TADAH, you have made “grass” without a specialized grass piping tip.
7. Add a few Robin Egg Chocolate Covered Almonds to create a nest on top.