Overnight Oats are a no-cook version of oatmeal that allows you to prepare the oats the night before to create a smooth, flavorful, “pudding-like” porridge for your morning breakfast. You can make these for yourself or the whole household and then play around with topping!
In addition to a delicious food, Overnight Oats are loaded with health benefits. They overnight resting period creates a fermentation that can aid digestion of the oats and help relieve bloating or an upset stomach that some people experience with quickly prepared oats!
Here are some easy instructions on how to make Overnight oats, and some of our favorite topping combinations!
How to Prepare Overnight Oats:
(1 servings, multiply for extra)
- The process for making overnight oats is really one of the simplest meal preps you can do. In a jar or small bowl, whisk together the following ingredients:
- 1/2 cup Old-Fashioned/Rolled Oats—Obviously, you’re gonna need some oats in that overnight oatmeal! While you can make overnight oatmeal with steel cut oats or quick cook oats (more on that in a sec), we’ve found the best results come from old-fashioned or rolled oats. If you need to eat gluten-free, make sure to get certified gluten-free oats.
- 1 cup Milk or Water—This can be dairy milk or any plant-based milk you enjoy. I prefer to stick to unsweetened milk so I can customize the sweetness later. Unsweetened almondmilk is what we use in our house!
- 2 Tbsp Chia Seeds or Ground Flax Seeds—You don’t have to use these plant-based thickeners in your overnight oats, but the finished product is a lot creamier and thicker ifyou do add them. Plus, both chia seeds and flax have wonderful nutritional benefits of their own, so add them to add MORE nutrients!
- Maple Syrup or Honey—Bulk Nation has Liquid Sweetners to add as much or as little as you’d like.
- Salt–If you ever make something sweet and it tastes “flat,” try adding a pinch of salt! Adding a bit of salt to your overnight oats will really help balance the sweet flavor.
- Let sit in the fridge or countertop overnight.
- The next morning, top with your favorite dried fruits, nuts, and treats! Here are some of our favorite combinations!
Traditional Oat Toppings
- Turkish Apricots
- Almonds (Raw or Unsalted/Roasted)
Beachy Overnight Oats
- Macadamia nuts
- White chocolate chips
- Dried pineapple
- Coconut flakes
Coffee Shop Oats
- 1 Tbsp Ground Coffee (mix this in the night before)
- Bittersweet Chocolate Chips
- White chocolate chips.
PB & J Delight
- Use almond milk as the liquid of in your overnight soaking
- 2 Tbsp fresh ground Bulk Nation Nut Butter (Peanut, Almond, or Cashew)
- Banana Chips, Chopped into pieces
- Dried Strawberries and/or Raisins