Warmer weather is upon us and there’s nothing better than enjoying a summer cocktail infused with hibiscus, mint and tangy lime. Hibiscus, which also happens to 2019 scent of the year is packed with antioxidants that help lower blood pressure, promote weight loss, fight bacteria and taste great!
For this delicious cocktail recipe, we used dried hibiscus flowers to make a simple syrup that can be stored in your fridge for weeks and used in a variety of other drink and food recipes.
It’s easy to make this beautiful, flavorful hibiscus simple syrup.
- 3/4 cup dried hibiscus flowers
- 2 cups water
- 1 cup sugar (or sweetener of your choice)
1. In a medium sized pot, add water, sugar and dried hibiscus flowers. Over medium heat, slowly bring to a boil.
2. Once it boils, turn the heat to low and simmer for 15 minutes.
3. Remove from heat and let cool completely.
4. Strain flowers and store in airtight container (like a mason jar) in your fridge.
Now, for the real star of this post, our refreshing hibiscus, mint cocktail. Although she pairs well with rum and bourbon, we picked Tito’s Vodka to spike this beauty and we are so excited to share it with you.
- 1.5 ounces hibiscus simple syrup
- 1 ounce lime juice
- 2 ounces Tito’s Vodka
- 2-3 fresh mint leaves
- 3-4 ounces soda water
1. In a glass add hibiscus simple syrup, and mint leaves. Stir or muddle to release the flavor.
2. Stir in lime juice and vodka (or liquor of your choice).
3. Fill the glass with ice and top off with soda water. Gently stir.
4. Garnish with fresh mint and lime wedge.